Tuesday, August 16, 2011

In Everything Give Thanks?

IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1Thessalonians 5:18

This scripture has been going over and over in my mind. I’ve heard people ask, “but how can I be thankful that my family member just died?” I didn't really know how to answer that question....until now. My husband of 18 ½ years (we knew each other 19 yrs) unexpectedly passed from this life a few months back. I watched him suffer a massive heart attack before my eyes…my children saw it, too….it’s haunted me as I’m sure it has them.

So, how can I be thankful for that? The Bible does not say to give thanks for an incident or tragedy that’s happened, but in everything give thanks. As long as we can find something to thank God for, the enemy of our soul has no hold on us. It is a matter of the heart. I don’t understand why! I don’t like what has happened! I miss my husband so very much!!! BUT….

I’m thankful God brought us together. I'm thankful for the 19 years we had together...although, to me it wasn't long enough. I’m thankful we had a good relationship and acknowledge it’s because of Jesus Christ. I’m thankful for the children we have. I’m thankful for how my husband exampled to our family to keep Christ as the center of our home. I’m thankful he loved the Word and was constantly listening to the Bible or preaching. I’m thankful he was a hard worker (just wish now he hadn’t worked so hard…perhaps he’d still be here?). I’m thankful for all the memories we have of times spent together…just now my son came in remembering a snack his dad taught him to make which they called “Blueberry Surprise.” I'm thankful he loved us and didn't hesitate to show or tell us often throughout the day.

I’m thankful for all our family and friends who have been here for us, loving us, supporting us, providing a shoulder to cry on, and helping in so many ways. I’m thankful for all those who remember us in prayer knowing the journey is not over just because the funeral is past. 

And to my Lord Jesus Christ….I’m thankful that He has not left us nor forsaken us. I’m thankful He is our Comforter, our Provider, and our Protector. Most of all, I’m thankful for His promise of salvation and eternal life for this gives me hope and comfort to know we will see Michael again.

It hurts deeply right now…much more than I can express...but I will not let that stop me from giving thanks to God. He knows what He’s doing even when I don’t understand the purpose. Yes, I still ask why, but I trust Him for I know He loves me. For all these things, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment