Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Day

Surviving the Holidays.....
     One holiday down, one to go, then to get through January and February...all of which have something special connected to my departed husband. That's how I tend to look at things now.

     All in all, I have to say Thanksgiving was a good day. Each person will handle and get through the grieving process differently....for me, it was having a change. My husband was one who always liked to celebrate the holidays quietly at home and once in a while have friends over. To get through this holiday, I needed to be around people. I needed to be on the go, and I needed things to be quite different. So thankful for friends who had a large family get-together and invited us to join them.

     It was festive, fun, and just what we needed. However, I found that once it was all over and we were home, the pain and sorrow began to overwhelm me once again. My kids were handling the day well (for which I'm thankful)....I didn't want to dampen their mood, so I was relieved when more friends called and invited us to their house for the evening. We roasted marshmallows as we sat around a campfire....this helped to pass the time and ease the pain. Again today, we gathered with more dear friends and celebrated with delicious food and fun games.

     As much as I enjoyed all the food and fellowship with friends, I don't want to forget what this holiday is about....being thankful! So right now, I want to say, "Thank You, Jesus, for Your love, for my family, for such wonderful friends, as well as Your many blessings....also, I want to thank You for the years I did have with my wonderful husband, and the promise I have that we'll see each other again in Heaven someday."


Here is a helpful site with great tips on surviving the holidays...
http://www.griefshare.org/holidays/articles/survivaltips

No comments:

Post a Comment