Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Single Mom

Being a mom is not easy....being a single mom is even tougher!  Especially if your a working single mom without any family that lives near.  Here's a glimpse into my day (I'm sure you can relate if you're a single mom)...

I wake every morn around 5 or 5:30am (unless I have to be to work early) in order to get myself and the kids up and ready in time for work.  We were ready to head out the door a little before 7am, but then I found out my daughter still is not feeling well and actually asked to go to the doctor (I knew she must be really sick).  I dropped my son off at school a little after 7am then headed straight to the doctor's office  arriving around 7:20am.  The doctor was finally able to see her around 8am and prescribes antibiotic for a sinus infection.  There was no time to stop by the pharmacy, so I rushed back home to drop her off then headed into work arriving a half hour late.  

It was a busy, hectic day at work as usual...rushing to a school to take orders, rushing back to office with work piling up...all while dealing with a severe sinus headache as well.  Five pm finally arrived, but I still had to get my daughter's prescription filled so I headed to the pharmacy we always used (25 minutes from work but close to home).  I stood in line and waited.....and waited.....and waited.....   Finally, I was next in line, but the lady at the drop off window did not motion me forward, so I waited.....and waited.....and waited..... until I looked over and saw the pick up window was backed clear up as well.  That's when I decided to go to a different grocery store that has quicker pharmacy service. 

As I was driving, somehow the bottle of pop flew out of my hand and landed upside down in my lap.  I tried to dab up the soda from my skirt while driving and all the while feeling perplexed because I still needed to go fill her prescription but now I would have to walk into the store with this HUGE wet spot on the front of me (thankfully it was a brown skirt so it wasn't too noticeable).  I walked in, dropped off the prescription within seconds, grabbed some groceries, picked up the meds, payed for my groceries, and headed home.  By that time, it was already way after 6pm. 

As I headed home, I realized I had not checked mail in several days so I made yet another stop.  (My mail is not delivered to my home so I have to find time to stop by the Post Office....and unfortunately their hours never coincide with my work hours so if I need to pick up a package, I am in a quandary.)  I finally made it home around 6:30pm but then I still had to bring in all the groceries (the kids helped put them away). 

At this point, I still haven't even thought about supper.  I know it's Wednesday and we should be at church but my daughter and I are not feeling well.   As a single mom, I push myself until I can't push anymore and tonight is one of those nights.  I am so thankful our church webcasts its services so we could at least listen to the preaching. There's so many things I should be, could be, or need to be doing, but it will have to wait for another day when Mom is feeling better. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough day the other day. I can only imagine how hard it is to be a single mom. Love you and if you ever need me for anything I'm here for you.

    ReplyDelete